Thursday, November 19, 2015

The Golden Gate City...


Over my son's fall break we decided to pack up and visit my family outside San Francisco area..we had not been there since 2011, when my son Ford was 2. I was pretty excited to have a full 4 days to explore. My brother and his girlfriend live up the road from the quaint little town of Fairfax. Fairfax had eclectic shops to peruse, fantastic restaurants, and tons of BIKES to be seen all around! Fairfax is known for being the birthplace of the mountain bike, in fact one of the bars in Fairfax has actual hooks lining the walls for bikers to hang up their ride while they grab a drink!

We could smell the coffee from the Fairfax Coffee Roastery from across the street...heavenly.


And no town visit is complete without a visit to the local ice cream shop! According to locals we chatted with, a line out the door is "normal"...and after tasting the ice cream we know why! I chose Mexican Hot Chocolate ice cream in a homemade waffle cone and it just may have been the best scoop I've ever had. The girl working was literally making fresh waffle cones while helping people at the counter at the same time--exceptional customer service :) (even with a line of people behind us patiently waiting) This is a MUST if you go to Fairfax.

We spent one day in Sausalito...gorgeous town on the bay home to hundreds of sailboats. Loved this picture...my son loved all the boats! We walked the shop lined streets and took in the views of the city which you can see from just about any direction you walk.

Our last day was spent taking the Larkspur Ferry into San Francisco...every day we had was clear and sunny.. we were thrilled! We hit Fisherman's Wharf for lunch and walked from there toward Ghiradelli Square.  I realize this picture below isn't very "glam" but I love the moment it catches of my son playing football on the grass at the square- the boys chose Ghiradelli Square for a football break. This was a beautiful spot to hang out, shop and grab a Ghiradelli milkshake!

And of course we were surrounded by the famous cable cars! My son's three favorites of our trip: the ferry ride, the cable cars, and the Golden Gate bridge. We were about speechless when we drove through the rainbow tunnel and came out to be right in front of the Golden Gate bridge...we had seen it from afar the previous days however to actually be on it, and see the fog rolling through it was breathtaking. I won't forget it.


Great trip, already looking forward to going back for next visit!


No comments:

Post a Comment